Monday 7 December 2009

Repulsion

Watched Repulsion today and I really didn't like the film at all. The film is set in 1960's London. At that time, women were more in control of their bodies. The pill had been invented and although society was not entirely happy with a woman sleeping with someone out of marriage, it was tolerated.
I really found the film disturbing. The way the camera was positioned made me feel very clumsy and claustrophobic. Especially when Carole was walking over the narrow bridge. I just wanted her to walk a little further to the right for fear of falling over the edge. Another thing which creeped me out to was the fact that the music didn't match the feel of the scene. You had jazz, a lively and free genera of music being played in the background of a murder scene.




It may be the era the film was set in, but whenever the main character was sitting down and the camera was focused on the side of her face I just kept on seeing the same thing. The Martian disguised as a woman from the film Mars Attacks was all that I saw. It wasn't so much the fact that Carole and the Martian woman looked alike, the only slight resemblance would be the curls in their hair. It was more to do with the fact that, when Carole did sit in the position mentioned, she always statue like. She barley blinked and her humanity was also going. The Martian woman from Mars Attacks was the same. Where it was a Martian in disguise, the lack of blinking made the scene creepy. The image below isn't the actual shot I was thinking of, but it's the only one I can find of the Martian Disguised as the woman.

3 comments:

  1. Haha. That's an errr...interesting connection you've made there. :P

    I don't think Repulsion is meant to be enjoyed, that fact that you feel the way you do means the film has probably succeeded in its intentions.

    Try and watch Rosemary's Baby, it has a genuinely gripping storyline and is just a lot more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add it to the list of things to watch. But yeh true. And yeh. My mind wonders too easily XD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lev you tend to use the term 'humaity' a lot in your blogs. I am refering to Joseph Merrick and Carole 'losing his / her humanity'. I was wondering what does that term mean to you.

    ReplyDelete